Category: Game Industry

Analyzing Our Kickstarter Results

I decided to reflect on some of the reasons behind the performance of our “Dukes and Dirigibles” Kickstarter. Here are the highlights:

Community. Our “community” largely consisted of Twitter followers of the company account @Backward_pieS, somewhere upwards of 1600. After reading this blog about how Moon Hunters had 700 Twitter followers at the start of their campaign, and 1500 afterwards, I thought we were in good shape in this regard.


Backward pieS Twitter

However, despite this number of followers, we had few backers come from our Twitter feed. I can imagine two reasons for the low turnout:

First, the large majority of our followers likely fall into the “follow me and I’ll follow you” category, with little-to-no direct interaction or true interest in us. It was probably a mistake to follow so many other accounts, because their “return follows” provided an inflated sense of interest.

Second, our previous game “Let There Be Life” is totally different from Dukes and Dirigibles, being a relaxing creative game about trees, so fans of our earlier work may not be interested in the new action game.

Being the lead developer in a small husband-and-wife studio, I have poured so much of my time and energy into building the game, that I hadn’t done the necessary promotion of it on forums like TIGSource and Reddit (and other sites I should probably know about but don’t). I knew that would be a weakness, but I didn’t know it would be death knell.

Work-In-Progress Art. I focused too much on refining the game play, particularly the game loop for the multiplayer demo. With a steady schedule of public appearances, I felt pressured to make fixes and additions so that the multiplayer experience felt complete. This took away time from development of the game’s graphics.

The weakest visual elements of the game are the drab and repetitive arenas, which are using old art. Since the arena walls/islands are not grid-based (allowing for angles and smooth curves), I have been waiting on the introduction of Smartsprites in Unity (scheduled for next June) to allow me to create sophisticated arena geometry easily and efficiently. Waiting for this release to focus on arena updates was smart from a development viewpoint, but terrible from a promotional one.

DnD_Multiplayer_635x357

The landscape backdrop doesn’t help either (it was done in about an hour-and-a-half right before a previous convention).

So what we were left with was drab multiplayer arenas, and singleplayer arenas that were recolors of the multiplayer artwork. Hoping people will look at your unfinished graphics and transpose your vision onto them is a losing prospect.

Bad Timing. We initially intended to run our Kickstarter back in June, but the time spent keeping the game in a playable state for each public event took away from development of the Kickstarter project (in addition to the art development). By Autumn we still weren’t ready but were quickly running out of cash.

October through November became a death march as I frantically implemented new player art, prepared for the next convention, added bosses for the singleplayer, recorded/edited footage for a video, and created imagery, gifs, and copy for the Kickstarter. The earliest we could get it all done was the week before Thanksgiving. So here we are, running a project that spans the peak of the Christmas gift-buying season.

We wanted to show the game at a convention during the Kickstarter campaign, but having one the weekend it went live pulled all our time away from making any sort of online push over those first few crucial days. The project launched a little past noon on a Thursday, then I went right back into fixing the game build for the show, followed by packing for the weekend. We got up early Friday and headed out for the show, leaving the Kickstarter to basically fend for itself.

 

The Takeaways

Going forward, I would like to invest money into some good contract artists to make the graphics more exciting. Once the final art style starts to take form, I will begin the long process of promoting the game everywhere I can to build up fan interest. We intend to take our time with the game, and won’t rush its development, so that one day when it is ready for release it will be the best game it can be.

“Let There Be Life” now available for Android

It took months of porting work to refine  the touch controls (and make a few additions), but Let There Be Life is now out on Android!

Google Play Store
Amazon App Store

The game actually released a couple weeks ago, but we couldn’t even announce here it because we haven’t been able to get into WordPress (obviously, that is all sorted out now :).

We’re really proud of the Android release – playing the game on a touchscreen feels really natural. As part of the porting process, we got (and in some cases needed) to make some additions:

– Multitouch support
– View-scrolling
– Left-handed mode
– Daytime cycle for the background
– Post images of finished trees to Twitter and Facebook!

It sounds like a cliche, but if you enjoyed the Windows version Let There Be Life, we think you’re going to love it on mobile. :)